Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The world's best zucchini fries.


The picture makes them look a tiny bit burnt, and gross, but I assure you, they are delicious. I explored the web looking for the best way to make zucchini sticks, but I was let down time and time again. Then I found this recipe. (She has nicer photos. A lot nicer. It's almost as if she used a real camera and not the broken one on her cell phone.) 

Anyway, I did make a few tweaks (and I didn't make the sauce she did) so here's my version:

Ingredients:
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
  •  2 large zucchini, cut into 4-inch sticks
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil or nonstick spray. 

2. Coat zucchini in egg then dredge through the flour, parmesan, bread crumb mix. Turn them over and make sure the whole thing is coated.

3. Arrange in one layer on the cookie sheet. (If you're anything like me, you will want to add a little pile of extra parmesan to each stick. Do it now.)

4. Bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. Serve immediately with sauce of your choice. 

We used marinara that we made from scratch. I'd share that recipe, but there really isn't one. We experimented by throwing tomatoes, onion, carrot and garlic in the blender with some fresh basil and dried Italian seasonings. Lots of simmering, reducing, adding stuff. It was good, but sort of a mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment